In a highly anticipated event, Apple introduces the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro, alongside updates to its Apple Watch lineup.
Apple is set to unveil its latest iPhone models, the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro, during the “Wanderlust” launch event at the Steve Jobs Theatre in Apple Park, California. This announcement comes at a crucial juncture for Apple, as global smartphone demand reaches a decade-low and the company grapples with its longest sales slump since 2016.
Launch Date and Livestream
- Date and Time: The iPhone 15 event is scheduled for Tuesday, September 12, at 6 PM BST (10 AM ET in California).
- Livestream: You can watch the event live on YouTube.
The iPhone 15 is expected to be available for pre-orders starting Friday, September 15, with wider availability through networks on Friday, September 22. However, supply chain analysts suggest that the iPhone 15 Pro Max may be released later, possibly in October. There are also speculations about a potential rebranding from “Max” to “Ultra.”
- Moderate Upgrades: The iPhone 15 lineup is anticipated to offer modest improvements compared to previous generations.
- No Fingerprint Sensor: Unlike some rivals, Apple is not expected to reintroduce fingerprint sensors on its phones.
- Enhanced Microchip: All models will feature the cutting-edge A17 bionic chip manufactured by TSMC, expected to improve efficiency and battery life.
- Titanium Frames: The Pro models will incorporate titanium frames for increased durability and lighter weight.
- Dynamic Island Display: All iPhone models will adopt the “dynamic island” screen design, eliminating the notch in favor of a punch-hole camera.
- Camera Upgrades: Analysts suggest significant camera enhancements, particularly on the entry-level models with a more powerful 48MP wide camera. The Pro models may feature a “periscope” camera lens for improved zoom capabilities.
- Design Changes: Expect a slightly curved glass screen, a revamped mute button, and a more versatile “action” button.
- iOS 17: Apple’s latest operating system, iOS 17, is expected to accompany the iPhone 15 launch, with new features, including a journal app.
Charging Cable Update
The most noticeable change is the adoption of USB-C for charging, complying with an EU law that aims to standardize chargers. This switch may render old cables incompatible, although USB-C is common for many smartphones and other Apple devices, such as MacBooks.
Apple Watch and Accessories
Apple is also expected to unveil the Apple Watch Series 9 with a more powerful processor. There may be updates to the Apple Watch Ultra, the sportier version. Additionally, the move to USB-C on iPhones might lead to changes in AirPod headphones and their charging case.
While exact pricing details are still undisclosed, analysts at Barclays anticipate a potential increase in the iPhone 15’s price point, with the iPhone 15 Pro possibly being $100 more expensive, and the iPhone 15 Pro Max ranging from $100 to $200 more than its predecessor.
Stay tuned for more updates as Apple’s “Wanderlust” event unfolds.