The summer transfer window has closed, and Premier League clubs have made their moves. But how well did they do? Here’s a rating of the transfer business for all 20 teams.
Arsenal – B
- Arsenal secured key signings, including Jurrien Timber and Kai Havertz, along with a significant acquisition in Declan Rice.
- Granit Xhaka’s departure went unnoticed with Rice fitting seamlessly.
- The high fee for Rice from West Ham proved worthwhile.
Aston Villa – A
- Villa showcased ambition by strengthening their squad.
- Smart European market exploitation with Moussa Diaby and Pau Torres.
- Free transfer deal for Youri Tielemans and a loan move for Clement Lenglet.
- Villa aims to prove their last season’s performance was not a fluke.
Bournemouth – A
- Bournemouth impressed by acquiring young talents and quality Championship players.
- Players like Max Aarons, Tyler Adams, and Luis Sinisterra bring potential.
- Successful European recruitment with Justin Kluivert and others.
- A dark horse in the league with their smart transfer strategy.
Brentford – C
- Brentford started well despite Ivan Toney’s absence.
- Shrewd signings like Nathan Collins and Bundesliga’s Kevin Schade and Mark Flekken.
- Goalkeeper Flekken softened the blow of David Raya’s departure.
- The middle-of-the-road transfer window for the West Londoners.
Brighton – A+
- Brighton’s summer signings have been impressive.
- Joao Pedro, Mahmoud Dahoud, James Milner, and Igor strengthened their midfield and defense.
- Shockwaves were sent through the Premier League with Ansu Fati’s loan signing.
- Brighton is the winner of this transfer window.
Burnley – B
- Burnley made astute signings for their Premier League return.
- Sander Berge’s acquisition was a coup.
- Jordan Beyer’s permanent signing adds defensive stability.
- Risky, yet bold strategy with some unknown entities.
Chelsea – B
- Chelsea had a busy transfer window.
- Moises Caicedo arrived for a record fee.
- Multiple signings like Christopher Nkunku, Romeo Lavia, Nicolas Jackson, and Cole Palmer.
- Inconsistent start, but has potential with exciting talent.
Crystal Palace – C-
- Crystal Palace had an underwhelming transfer window.
- Wilfried Zaha’s departure left a void.
- Matheus Franca, Dean Henderson, and Jefferson Lerma arrived.
- Gaps in the squad remain unfilled.
Everton – C+
- Everton’s transfer window improved with Beto’s arrival.
- Beto impressed on his debut.
- Safe signings like Ashley Young, Arnaut Danjuma, and Jack Harrison.
- A mix of safe and risky deals.
Fulham – D
- Fulham lost key players, including Aleksandar Mitrovic.
- Raul Jimenez’s arrival was underwhelming.
- Defensive additions in Calvin Bassey and Timothy Castagne.
- A potential bubble burst for Fulham.
Liverpool – B-
- Liverpool missed out on some high-profile signings.
- Dominik Szoboszlai and Alexis Mac Allister have been impressive.
- Wataru Endo’s addition adds depth.
- Mohamed Salah’s retention was crucial.
Luton Town – B
- Luton Town signed players with potential.
- Jacob Brown, Ryan Giles, Tahith Chong, and Mads Andersen are gems from the Football League.
- Ross Barkley’s intriguing signing.
- Survival hopes rest on new faces.
Manchester City – A
- Manchester City made calculated signings.
- Josko Gvardiol, Mateo Kovacic, Matheus Nunes, and Jeremy Doku are promising arrivals.
- Well-planned recruitment.
- Manchester United’s signings have divided fans.
- Andre Onana’s performance is yet to match expectations.
- High expectations for Rasmus Hojlund.
- Mason Mount’s potential impact.
- Sofyan Amrabat adds midfield depth.
Newcastle United – A
- Newcastle strengthened wisely.
- Sandro Tonali’s debut was promising.
- Harvey Barnes was impressed.
- Boyhood fan Lewis Hall’s signing.
- Positive outgoings.
- Wise spending by Newcastle.
Nottingham Forest – B-
- Nottingham Forest had a quieter transfer window.
- Signings from Manchester United and Arsenal.
- Gonzalo Montiel is a notable addition.
- Offloaded fringe players.
- Sensible dealings.
Sheffield United – D+
- Sheffield United lost key assets.
- Gustavo Hamer impressed with a debut goal.
- Pressure on Cameron Archer.
- James McAtee’s shrewd signing.
- Challenging season ahead.
Tottenham – B
- Tottenham faced changes with a new manager and Harry Kane’s departure.
- James Maddison excelled.
- Destiny Udogie’s return adds depth.
- Bright future for the new-look Spurs.
West Ham United – C
- West Ham performs well despite an uneventful transfer window.
- James Ward-Prowse and Mohammed Kudus are notable signings.
- Unsuccessful pursuit of Harry Maguire.
- Hope for success with major additions.
Wolves – D-
- Wolves suffered significant outgoings.
- Desperation moves with Matt Doherty and Tom King.
- Hopes rest on young players to perform.
- Tough season ahead for the Wolves.